Open source rich text editor based on HTML5 and the progressive-enhancement approach. Uses a sophisticated security concept and aims to generate fully valid HTML5 markup by preventing unmaintainable tag soups and inline styles.
h1. This project isn't maintained anymore
Please check out this "fork":http://wysihtml.com.
h1. wysihtml5 0.3.0
wysihtml5 is an open source rich text editor based on HTML5 technology and the progressive-enhancement approach. It uses a sophisticated security concept and aims to generate fully valid HTML5 markup by preventing unmaintainable tag soups and inline styles. The code is completely library agnostic: No jQuery, Prototype or similar is required.
This project was initiated and is supported by the "XING AG":https://www.xing.com. Thanks!
Auto-parses content inserted via copy & paste (from Word, Powerpoint, PDF, other web pages, ...)
- Converts invalid or unknown html tags into valid/similar tags
- Source code view for users with HTML skills
- Uses sandboxed iframes in order to prevent identity theft through XSS
- Editor inherits styles and attributes (placeholder, autofocus, ...) from original textarea (you only have to style one element)
- Speech-input for Chrome
h2. Browser Support
The rich text editing interface is supported in IE8+, FF 3.5+, Safari 4+, Safari on iOS 5+, Opera 11+ and Chrome. Graceful Degradation: Users with other browsers will see the textarea and are still able to write plain HTML by themselves.
- "Simple Editor with italic and bold buttons":http://xing.github.com/wysihtml5/examples/simple.html
- "Editor with advanced functionality":http://xing.github.com/wysihtml5/examples/advanced.html
h2. Companies using wysihtml5
- "Basecamp":http://basecamp.com - Leading web-based project management and collaboration tool
- "XING":https://www.xing.com - Business Social Network with more than 12 million members
- "Qype":http://www.qype.com - Largest user-generated local review site in Europe
- and many more ...
Check our "Wiki Pages":https://github.com/xing/wysihtml5/wiki including a simple "Getting Started Tutorial":https://github.com/xing/wysihtml5/wiki/Getting-Started.
Before starting wysihtml5 we spent a lot of time investigating the different browsers and their behaviors.
Check this repository: "https://github.com/tiff/wysihtml5-tests":https://github.com/tiff/wysihtml5-tests
A compatibility table for rich text query commands can be found here: "http://tifftiff.de/contenteditable/compliancetest.html":http://tifftiff.de/contenteditable/compliancetest.html
A pure native rich text editor with HTML validator and live source preview is here: "http://tifftiff.de/contenteditable/editor.html":http://tifftiff.de/contenteditable/editor.html