OpenMRS Android Client
Table of Contents
The purpose of this project is to provide an OpenMRS 2.x client for Android devices. The app is designed to cover most of the functionality currently on the web application.
The app communicates with OpenMRS instances using REST. It supports working offline (without network connection). The database on the device is encrypted and password protected to secure patient data.
For more information on the client, visit https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/projects/OpenMRS+2.x+Android+Client
- Connect to OpenMRS server and sync all data
- Register and Edit patients
- Record Visits and Encounters
- View patient data (Details, Diagnoses, Visits, and Vitals)
- Offline access
This project was also selected for Google Summer of Code 2019. More details can be found on the Project Wiki Page.
It was been selected as a candidate for Google Summer of Code 2017. Please visit the Project Wiki Page for more details.
The project was also a part of GSoC 2016, the details of which can be seen in the GSoC_2016.md file.
We use JIRA to track issues and monitor project development. Refer to this link to view all issues and project summary: Android Client JIRA.
To get started contributing, try working on introductory issues in JIRA and check out OpenMRS Pull Request Tips.
Also, before creating a pull request, please run code review tools (Lint) and all tests.
The coding conventions used by OpenMRS are outlined here. These can be applied to Android Studio by following the steps given below.
1. Install Eclipse Code Formatter plugin in Android studio
I. Go to
II. Select Marketplace and searh for the plugin by name.
Then install it
2. Copy the required XML
3. Go to
Eclipse Code Formatter and import the XML created in previous step
4. Now go to
Code Style in the same window
Java in the menu on left and update values in
Imports as shown in below picture
5. Now select
XML in the menu on left and update values in
Tabs and Indents tab as shown in below picture
Please follow the below instructions while contributing:
1. When project is opened with Android Studio, go to
2. Select Project from the Scheme dropdown
3. Make sure that hard wrap is set to 125 for Java and XML language settings.
We are following Google's MVP sample for this application's development.
HTTP call debugging
In order to debug HTTP calls, we have integrated Chuck Library (a GUI based open source library) to track network calls. Apps using Chuck will display a notification showing a summary of ongoing HTTP activity. Tapping on the notification launches the full Chuck UI.
As of February 2016, this project has been migrated to gradle to work successfully with Android Studio.
Steps to set up:
- Fork the repository and clone your fork.
- From the Android Studio menu select
Import Project. Alternatively, from the
Welcome screen, select
- Navigate to the folder where you have cloned this repo and select the
build.gradle file inside. Select
- Done! Wait for dependencies to load and download from Maven, then you're ready to go!
- Make sure that you have the latest SDK and build tools downloaded, as we always build against the latest release.
- If you are working behind a proxy, check this to get things working.
- To start development on a local server, type http://10.0.2.2:8080/openmrs (for Android Studio AVD) or http://10.0.3.2:8080/openmrs (for Genymotion) as URL.
The demo test server dedicated to the client is (https://demo.openmrs.org/openmrs/).
In case the demo server fails to respond, you can use oher alternate servers provided here.
Demo Username: admin
Demo Password: Admin123
Releasing [Collaborators only]
We follow the sprint model for development. Read more about it here: OpenMRS Sprints.
To release the application, make sure to do these steps in order:
- Update the version variable in versions.gradle prior to the release.
- Update the Release notes section.
- Update the release notes text file to publish in the Play store. Ideally change the wording so that normal end users understand.
- Now commit with the title
Release to the master branch.
- Tag the commit, using the version as the tag name. Make sure CI is green!
- Go to the releases page and click the Draft a new release button. It will create a new version tag in the repository and build the app. The tag name will be used as the version number for this. Be sure to bump unfinished issues to the next due version.
- Go to JIRA's releases page, click on the three-dots on the right, and hit Release.
- Post a new Talk thread and describe what is changed or improved in the release.
- Updated UI for different activities (#787, #785, #803, #806, #808, #809)
- Added repository layer for different activity layer (#784, #791, #797, #799)
- Migrated codebase to kotlin (#794, #802, #811, #814)
- Removed unused resources (#788, #805)
- Created offline support for Allergy module (#786)
- Create allergy based on server configuration (#796)
- Allergy can be updated as per server settings (#798)
- Allergy can be deleted in online/offline mode (#793)
- Overloaded methods of AppDataBase Helper class (#789)
- Removed Collapsable bar in provider dashboard (#800)
- Removed unnecessary restAPI param passing to the repository (#792)
- Migrated Chart ListAdapter to RecyclerView (#807)
- Fixed app restarts on downloading concepts (#795)
- Fixed crash at admission form by using live data (#804)
- Fixed Release version blocker (#790)
- Added possible NPE checks at PatientComparator (#810)
- Create admission form (#696)
- Migrate Java code to Kotlin (#757, #766, #765, #764, #767)
- Fix Floating Action Button bugs (#763, #769)
- Add crop image feature in patient registration (#768)
- Update UI to follow material design (#770, #778, #777)
- Upgrade dependencies to the latest versions (#772)
- Add expandable FAB for provider dashboard (#773)
- Add empty active visits view (#771)
- Mark patient deceased using coded response (#774)
- Removed swipe actions in provider dashboard (#775)
- Fix the reverse flipping bug in patient dashboard (#779)
- Add allergy tab to fetch allergies from server (#780)
- Finish migration from ActiveAndroid to Room (#781, #783)
- Add repository layer in visit dashboard (#782)
- Fixed critical bugs (#718, #721, #722, #730, #734, #741, #742)
- Add showcase view for manage providers module (#720)
- Continue creating Room DAOs (#727, #736, #739, #740, #735, #738)
- Refined custom dialog box in add patient activity (#731)
- Start visit is disabled in offline mode (#729)
- Add option for 'Unknown' patients when registering (#733)
- Change main font to Roboto (#745)
- Fixed app crash on lower API devices (#749)
- Avoid keyboard blocking SnackBar messages (#747)
- Change endpoint debugger to Chucker to avoid crash (#750)
- Better localization (#723)
- Fix ill formed provider fields (#751)
- UI overhaul, better compliant with Material UI guidelines (#744, #746, #743, #753, #759, #761, #760)
- Migrate Java code to Kotlin (#752, #758, #756)
- Add offline support for provider module (#748)
- Double back press to exit the app (#762)
- Add contribution guidelines to the repository (#671, #662)
- Removed unused resources, decreasing APK size (#669)
- Removed hardcoded strings (#673)
- Dashboard now responds to change in app theme (#661)
- Add language translation in hindi (#650)
- Create Room Data Access Objects (DAOs) (#670, #659, #682, #657, #662)
- UI fixes in register patient screen (#686)
- Added reset button (#692)
- Improved login and fragment dialog button design (#672)
- Improve PatientDetailFragment UI (#700)
- Fix app crash on entering values in email or password text fields (#691)
- Add City and State selector using Google Places API (#694)
- Fix crash at register patient activity (#717)
- Fix context-related errors (#713, #716)
- Add swipe to refresh feature in relevant screens (#701)
- Add Contact Us screen (#710)
- Migrate POJO classes to Kotlin (#675, #719)
- Add validation to HIV status in Visit Notes screen (#698)
- Fix window leakage error when viewing patient details
- Fix various performance issues
- Integrate leak canary for debug builds
- Add a splash screen
- Add intro slides for first time users
- Set a code style
- Fix broken unit tests
- Add Dark mode to the app
- Provider management: admins can now find, add, edit and delete providers
- Refactor Repository names.
- Fix details not showing when searching patients
- Make UI more consistent and follow more of the material design specs
- Implement Initial Provider Management
- Remove redundant type cast
- Add Floating Action Button in patient's details tab
- Remove Apache HTTP API Client library
- Patient now extends Person
- Make Search primary function for Find Patients
- Revamp Settings Page (new material design!)
- Integrated android snooper for debugging purpose
- Added Kotlin dependency to app level build.gradle file
- Added release folder to gitignore
- Initialized SQLCipher, made app 64-bit compliant
- Changed Gradle to latest version
- Fixed Play Publisher not publishing to Play store
- Fixed bug on showing/hiding the password during login
- Visit Notes can now correctly show details
- Use Codecov as the code coverage tool
- Re-developed OpenMRSLogger - faster loading times
- Most buttons now follow the material design guideline
- User is now taken back to the completed form on clicking cancel during registration
- Replace country selection with a country picker
- Setup Android Room and create entities
- Add Contextual Action Bar in Synced Patients to delete multiple patients at once
- Implement RxJava in DAOs and migration to AndroidX
- Pick patient photo when registering
- Login form improved and doesn't require login locations when no locations are configured
- Add data validation when registering patients
- Encrypted the database with BCrypt, derived from username and password
- Show toasts when toggling sync button and fixed crash when updating non-synced patient
- Saving user input when device is rotated, or when app instance is lost
- Renewed GitHub API Key
- Set a Custom Path to look for the Release APK
- Add patient picture
- Bug Fixes
- Handle camera and storage permissions manually
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed patient selection when changing orientation
- More user-friendly register form
- Added unit tests
- Filter patients by given/middle/family names at the same time
- Get data from DB in background task
- Lint check to GitHub Pull Requests
- Log in offline
- Coded fields in forms
- Edit forms
- Edit patients
- Lots of bug fixes
- Added merging patients registered offline
- Find Patient storyboard refactoring
- Fixed bugs
Version 2.9+ (next releases)
- Material UI design
- Integrate more components of the webapp to the client
- Password reset via email
- Replace Java code with Kotlin
- Migrate ActiveAndroid SQL library to room library
Check this link for the manual: Version 2.9+
This project is licensed under the OpenMRS Public License, see the copyright file for details.