MyWind is a MySQL version of the Microsoft Access 2010 Northwind sample database.
The Northwind database is an excellent tutorial schema for a
small-business ERP, with customers, orders, inventory, purchasing,
suppliers, shipping, employees, and single-entry accounting. However,
I wanted to experiment with the schema using MySQL.
The Northwind sample database provided with Microsoft Access is a tutorial schema for managing small business customers, orders, inventory, purchasing, suppliers, shipping, and employees. My problem was I wanted to experiment with the Northwind schema using MySQL.
- northwind.mdb -> northwind-02.mdb (and other new/modifed files in this commit) may be the result of correcting or improving the ERD model where it relates to sales orders and shipping (as presumed by addition of northwind-02-sales-orders-and-shipping.png). Whoever walks this way, please figure this out and deal with it appropriately.
- northwind.mwb (MySQL Workbench v6.2)
- EER Diagram:
- northwind-default-current-timestamp.sql (uses DEFAULT CURRENT TIMESTAMP, requires MySQL 5.6.5+)
- Created Northwind.aacdb using MS Access 2010 (File > New > Sample Templates > Northwind > SaveAs).
- Created basic SQL equivalent of Northwind schema for MySQL using using BullZip "Access to MySQL".
- Replaced CamelCase identifier names with lowercasewith_underscore identifier names.
- Replaced " " (space) and "/" (forward slash) characters in identifiers with underscores.
- Renamed table primary keys "id".
- Renamed table foreign keys "xxxid" (e.g. "inventoryid").
- Changed record-create and modify-date columns to type DATETIME (to avoid the 1997 - 2038 UTC date range restriction of TIMESTAMP, and also other limitations).
- Added foreign key relationships and created ERD using MySQL Workbench.
- Imported SQL into MySQL Workbench
- Added foreign key relationships visually
- Exported EER Diagrams
: BullZip Access to MySQL version 5.1.242. Access to MySQL "...may be used free of charge for non-commercial purposes.", http://www.bullzip.com, accessed 2014-01-08.